28 December, 2002

Editing

Well, am at work again and I just took a look at yesterday's post. It was embarrasing to see so many typo's and spelling mistakes. I am not the world's greatest speller, but even I can catch "othere", well, at least I thought I could catch "othere" till I read yesterday's post and had it stick out like a grand jury indictment of my ability to form proper words and sentences. If, as I stated nearly a year ago, the main purpose of typing here is for me to work on my ability to write, then I need to be able to form sentences that are well formed and complete. And I need to spell correctly, so that the reader is not forced to decode my meaning from the jumble of letters which may or may not make proper words.

Still, as they say, practice makes perfect, and at least I have started practicing. I have been afraid to post here for so long because I have been stubbornly holding on to the idea that each and every post I write has to be some profound insightful essay on the state of the world and what should be done about it. Which is a nice thought, that a practice page some how should be inspiring and perceptive, but totally unrealistic and really, contradictory to what I set out to do. If I am going to practice to write here, than I have to accept that what I write may not always be the most orginal or profound or the best of what I may create. Was every work of Hemmingway a masterpiece? Was every story of F. Scott Fitzgerld a classic? I set my goals way to high and my expectations on the summit of the mountain, with out ever even considering the base. Foolish, and ultimately, destructive to the effort.

Anyway, my food has arrived, hopefully I'll get to take a break before it goes totally cold, and I can enjoy it. Only other thing I have to do is figure out how to add comment boxes to this thing.

Till next time (which is shortly coming)

No comments: